Part of the reason for the slow down around here is that I wasn't really making new recipes. To keep things simple in the kitchen, I fell back on things I've made before and knew we loved. This recipe is one that I made many times over this summer. The inspiration came one day when there were a few odd ingredients in the fridge that needed to be used up. This is one of those recipes that, now, I can skip the recipe card and go based on memory - and I love that!
These turkey burgers are a great choice when you are looking for something different than your run-of-the-mill burgers. The chipotle and adobo sauce provide a great smokiness, and the red onion is bright punch of flavor. We love them!
Chipotle Salsa Turkey Burgers
Yield: Serves 4
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 chipotle pepper with about 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup red onion, diced
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- juice from one large lime, divided
- 2 teaspoons chili or taco seasoning
- 1/2 an avocado
- burger buns, lettuce, sliced tomato, cheese, and whatever else you like to put on burgers
- De-seed and mince the chipotle pepper.
- Add all ingredients except avocado and half of the lime juice to a large bowl.
- Mix gently just until thoroughly combined; do not over-work.
- Shape into four equal burgers. Grill over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes per side, or until no longer pink in the center.
- Mix avocado and reserved half of the lime juice in a small bowl. Spread avocado mixture on burger bun. Build the burger with your favorite toppings, and enjoy!