I've moved! Follow me over to The Balanced Baker.



Friday, April 8, 2011

Curry Shrimp with Green Beans and Soba Noodles

A few weeks ago I mentioned one of our favorite curry recipes, and said it was one of two favorites. Today, I am bringing you the other favorite! After trying so many different recipes, this one always stood out as the best. When I went back to evaluate why, and compare all the recipes, I found that this one calls for twice the curry powder that the others do. That could definitely explain why we like this recipe so much more!

CRW_0113c

As luck would have it, I wanted to make this right as we ran out of curry powder. I was due to refill some other spices, so I turned to my trusty spice store, Penzeys, for a new order. I flipped to the curry page in the catalog and was instantly overwhelmed. There were so many different kinds, and I am somewhat embarrassed to admit that I didn't realize "curry powder" was really a blend of several different spices. I thought curry powder was just - curry powder, like turmeric is just turmeric. Boy, was I wrong!

I grabbed my empty curry jar and scanned the ingredient list, then picked the one in the catalog that sounded the closest and crossed my fingers as I placed the order. I chose the sweet curry powder, and it turned out to be the perfect choice. It was just the right blend for us!

This is a fabulously quick, easy, one pot meal - great for a weeknight. This combination of spices is our favorite curry sauce, which I suspect we will be able to use in many other curry dishes in the future!

Curry Shrimp with Green Beans and Soba Noodles


Curry Shrimp with Green Beans and Soba Noodles
Source: Slightly adapted from The Gracious Pantry
Yield: Serves 2-3
Preparation time: 5 min
Cook time: 15 min
Total time: 20 minutes

 

Ingredients

  • 1 pound frozen shrimp (peeled and deveined, tail off)
  • 1 can light coconut milk (14 oz)
  • 1 pound fresh green beans
  • 3 green onions, diced
  • 2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 2 teaspoons onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 4 teaspoons curry powder
  • juice of 1/2 a lemon
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 6 ounces soba noodles

Instructions

  1. Combine all ingredients except soba noodles in a large pot or pan, cover and bring to a boil.
  2. Once you have a nice rolling boil, remove the lid and continue to cook over medium to medium-high heat.
  3. Add soba noodles and cook an additional 3-4 minutes, until noodles are soft and shrimp are cooked through.

    3 comments:

    Jen said...

    This is definitely going on the dinner menu very soon! Looks awesome. I love anything coconut curry. :)

    Leener said...

    I recently found your blog and have scoured it for ideas and recipes. As a fellow curry lover, I am super excited to try this recipe. Thank you so much for including it!

    Melissa said...

    I finally made this last night and it was SOOO GOOD. Love this. I garnished it with a little thai chili and garlic sauce but it was good without it as well. It's also the first time I've used soba noodles, which are really healthy. Thanks for the recipe, will definitely make this again and again!