I've moved! Follow me over to The Balanced Baker.



Friday, April 15, 2011

One Pot Meal: Baked Chicken

One pot meals are a thing of wonder.  This especially rings true for a messy cook such as myself. Despite the fact that we have somewhere on the order of four times more counter space now than we did in our last home, I still manage to cover all the surfaces during some of my more involved cooking/baking days. I have been known to exclaim, "I don't have anywhere to put this!" only to have my husband look at me in bewilderment. In my defense, it usually involves needing my sink, which is, in my opinion, rather small for the size of our kitchen.
IMG_0018c
With my parents coming to visit last Sunday for a grandson-fix, I was inspired to make this by a lonely whole chicken wasting away in our deep freezer.  This recipe is easy all around (even more-so if you get your butcher to cut up the chicken for you) and great for when you have company.  Toss all the ingredients in a roasting pan and pop it in the oven for 50 minutes.  We even used the roasting pan as the serving dish and let everyone pick out what they wanted, buffet style.  With just one dish to clean up, it allowed for less time in the kitchen and more time where it counts - with family!

Simple, but classic flavorings of balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and thyme make this baked chicken dish a great choice for last minute guests, or anytime you want a wholesome, comforting meal with minimal effort.

Baked Chicken with Onions, Potatoes, Garlic, and Thyme


Baked Chicken with Onions, Potatoes, Garlic, and Thyme
Source: Slightly adapted from Everyday Food, October 2009
Yield: Serves 4
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Total time: 1 hour

 

Ingredients

  • 1 whole chicken (3 to 3 1/2 pounds), cut into 8 pieces and breasts halved crosswise
  • 1 pound white new potatoes, halved (quartered if large)
  • 1 large red onion, cut into eighths
  • 1 head garlic, cloves separated and left unpeeled
  • 6 sprigs thyme
  • 1 lemon, quartered
  • 1 pound baby carrots
  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper

Instructions

  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Arrange chicken, potatoes, onion, carrots, garlic, thyme, and lemon in a 12-by-16-inch roasting pan.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together the oil and vinegar and drizzle over chicken and vegetables.
  3. Toss to combine and season with salt and pepper. Turn chicken skin side up. Roast until chicken is browned and cooked through, about 50 minutes.

    3 comments:

    Jen said...

    I completely agree. I love a 1-dish meal. I've been making a similar meal almost once a week for the past few weeks...

    Christina @ Still Lucky said...

    That looks delicious! I still have not made my own roast chicken. I really have to get on that!

    Rebecca @ A Dash of Thyme said...

    Love so yummy and am always looking for 1-pot dishes!