I've moved! Follow me over to The Balanced Baker.



Thursday, February 3, 2011

Quinoa Vegetable Soup

IMG_0017c

The snow has been piling up around here, and that generally means one things: comfort food. In an effort to keep things healthy around here, I turned to this soup recipe for something warm, comforting, and most of all - filling!

IMG_0030c

I didn't have any marjoram (and wasn't about to go out to the store for some), but I found a spice blend in my cabinet that seemed like it would work well. I also used chicken broth, since that's what I had on hand. This is a delicious soup that is so easy to throw together. It's a great way to get in some vegetables and grains, so you can feel a little less guilty about some other comfort foods calling your name!

Quinoa Vegetable Soup
Yield: Approximately 4 quarts
Source: The Gracious Pantry

  • 8 cups vegetable broth + 8 cups vegetable broth on reserve
  • 2 cups uncooked quinoa (rinsed well, unless you buy pre-rinsed)
  • 4 large carrots, peeled and sliced
  • 1 small bunch celery, cleaned and sliced
  • 1 small head broccoli, washed and chopped
  • 2 lbs. mushrooms, washed and sliced
  • 1 red onion, peeled and diced
  • 2 tbsp. garlic powder
  • 2 tbsp. onion powder
  • 1 tsp. thyme
  • 2 tsp. celery seed
  • 1 tbsp. marjoram
  • 2 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 vegetable bouillon cube

Directions

Step 1 – Saute the onions and mushrooms over low-medium heat in the olive oil until the onions are translucent and the mushrooms have completely wilted.

Step 2 – In a large soup pot (a 4 quart pot), combine 8 cups of broth, carrots, celery, broccoli, onion/mushroom mixture, bouillon cube and spices. Bring to a boil.

Step 3 – When the soup is at a full, rolling boil, add the quinoa.

Step 4 – Reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until the vegetables are soft and the quinoa is transparent.

Step 5 – Add extra vegetable broth as needed to maintain a soupy consistency.

5 comments:

mom said...

Very good! Being a Southern Belle on a special diet, I was anxious to try this recipe. Now I learned to cook in a family of seven children, so I don't rally know what a small head of celery is or a small head of broccoli is. My soup needed more than 32 oz of vegetable stock! But it is pretty and very delicious (including a little extra salt). Thanks for sharing.

Natalie said...

I recently made a soup with steel cut oats in it, I imagine quinoa gives it a similar flavor/texture. I'll have to try sometime!

Quinoa Nutrition Facts said...

Quinoa Vegetable Soup is absolutely perfect for this cold weather. I think this is gonne be a very yummy soup. I'll surely try this recipe very soon. Thank you very much for sharing. :)

Unknown said...

I'm going to make this soup this week, I love to find new ways to eat quinoa. I'm curious....how is a boullion cube 'clean eating'? Did you find an organic brand?

Stefany said...

Amy - I hope you enjoy the soup. I took a tip from the author of The Gracious Pantry - she recommends Rapunzel bouillon, available at Whole Foods.