I've moved! Follow me over to The Balanced Baker.



Monday, February 7, 2011

Quick Chicken Fricassee

I'm a huge fan of Cook's Illustrated for trusted, tested recipes. I've been getting the magazine for a few years, but recently let my subscription run out because I think I'd benefit more from the online subscription the offer. I love to research products and having all of their tests and ratings at my fingertips is more beneficial to me, than getting new recipes sent to my door a few times a year. However, in the last magazine issue I received, there were quite a few recipes that seemed perfect for us. This was one of them. I happily added the ingredients to my grocery list, but somehow completely forgot to write down the mushrooms. I decided to make it anyway and it was still fabulous! We are huge fans of chicken with a pan sauce recipes, and this was just one more recipe for our arsenal.

IMG_0203c

Quick Chicken Fricassee
Source: Cook's Illustrated, November/December 2010, page 20

Note:
Two tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley leaves may be substituted for the tarragon in this recipe.
  • 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thighs, or a combination
  • Table salt and ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 pound cremini mushrooms, stems trimmed, caps wiped clean and cut into 1/4-inch slices
  • 1 medium onion, chopped fine (about 1 cup)
  • 1/4 cup dry white wine
  • 1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1 medium garlic clove, minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1 teaspoon)
  • 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/3 cup sour cream
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
  • 2 teaspoons juice from 1 lemon
  • 2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon (see note)

1. Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Heat butter and oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. When foaming subsides, place chicken in skillet and cook until browned, about 4 minutes. Flip chicken and continue to cook until browned on second side, about 4 minutes longer. Transfer chicken to large plate.

2. Add mushrooms, onion, and wine to now-empty skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid has evaporated and mushrooms are browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Add flour and garlic; cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Add broth and bring mixture to boil, scraping bottom of pan with wooden spoon to loosen browned bits. Add chicken and any accumulated juices to skillet. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until instant-read thermometer registers 160 degrees when inserted in breasts and 175 degrees when inserted in thighs, 5 to 10 minutes.

3. Transfer chicken to clean platter and tent loosely with foil. Whisk sour cream and egg yolk together in medium bowl. Whisking constantly, slowly stir ½ cup sauce into sour cream mixture. Stirring constantly, slowly pour sour cream mixture into simmering sauce. Stir in nutmeg, lemon juice, and tarragon; return to simmer. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour sauce over chicken and serve.

1 comment:

Hana K said...

i try this recipe once when i went to my husband home town ,also attempted to cooking it (my mother inlaw thought me) well its very delicous and very tasty meals indeed