I've moved! Follow me over to The Balanced Baker.



Monday, November 24, 2008

Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream


Mint choc chip is my absolute favorite flavor of ice cream. When I got my ice cream maker, that is all I wanted to make! I originally was using the recipe that came with my ice cream maker, but before long I decided I didn't want to be making a recipe that used 2 cups of heavy cream all the time. After stumbling upon the Old Time Vanilla recipe that I love, I tried their mint version but something was... off. We didn't love it. I put mint on the back burner while vanilla and peanut butter became the mainstays in the house. This week, I knew it was time to get back to mint and work out the recipe. I am so glad I did!

Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
Adapted from Doc Wilson

~1/4 cup egg beaters
~1/2 can of fat free sweetened condensed milk
~6 Tablespoons white sugar
~4 ounces heavy whipping cream
~16 ounces fat free half and half
~4 ounces skim milk (or 1%, or 2%, whatever you have)
~1/8 tsp salt
~1/2 teaspoon mint extract
~2 tsp vodka OR mint schnapps OR "The Good Doctor" (optional)
~1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (I prefer small amounts of chocolate in my ice cream, feel free to load it up if you prefer more!)

In a large mixing bowl whisk together egg beaters, sweetened condensed milk, and sugar until thoroughly mixed. Add heavy whipping cream, half and half, skim milk, salt, vodka or schnapps, and mint extract. For the very best results (who wants anything less?), let the mix chill in the refrigerator for about four hours which allows the mix to "age" before freezing according to the directions with your ice cream freezer. Add the mini chips in the last 5 minutes of freezing. This recipe makes the perfect amount to fit in a 1.5 quart ice cream maker. Makes between 4 and 5 cups of ice cream.


yes, that's wrapping paper

5 comments:

Unknown said...

ooh, love it! this used to be my fav flavor as a kid... with caramel :0 haha, wierdo. love the wrapping paper :)

Maryanna said...

This is my mom's favorite ice cream. I'll have to make it for her bday.

Anonymous said...

This is my husband's favorite type of ice cream! It looks so delicious and so festive with the pretty background!! :)

~Amber~ said...

This looks awesome. My husband would love it if I made this for him. My lame attempt at making mint chocolate chip ice cream with real mint was quite the disappointment to him.

That Girl said...

This is Thatboy's favorite flavor!