I've moved! Follow me over to The Balanced Baker.



Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Mediterranean Chicken


This is another recipe rave from Good Things Catered. I had this slated for the weekend, but we ended up going to a (fabulous) fish fry and brewery tour instead. I am so glad I ended up making it tonight! It's a simple, delicious way to do a basic chicken and vegetables. I served it with brown rice. Yum!

Mediterranean Chicken
Source: Good Things Catered

~2 large boneless skinless chicken breast halves
~salt and ground pepper
~1 tsp olive oil
~ medium sweet onion, halved and sliced thin (I used 1/2 an onion)
~1 small zucchini sliced
~1/2 small yellow squash, sliced

~2 cloves garlic, peeled sliced paper thin (I grated it)
~1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar (small splash, really)
~1/2 cup low sodium chicken stock
~2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved (oops! I read that as 1/2 cup. I did about 1 cup)
~1/4 cup kalmata olives, halved
~1/8 c. fresh parsley, chopped (I omitted)
~1 Tbsp fresh/green za'atar (or 1 tsp dried) (I omitted)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pat chicken breasts dry and season with salt and pepper. In medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, bring pan up to temperature and place chicken, breast-down, in pan and cook until slightly browned, about 2 minutes. Flip breast over and cook until slightly browned, only 1 minute. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.

Place oil and then onion (and zucchini/squash) into pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions start to caramelize, about 12 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

Deglaze with balsamic vinegar and chicken stock and stir to combine. Let cook down for about 1 minute and then add remaining ingredients. Place skillet into oven and cook until internal temperature reaches 170 degrees, about 10 -12 minutes (depending on how much you browned the outside and the size of the breasts). Remove from oven, let cool for at least 5-10 minutes and plate.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yum!!! I LOVE the changes and I LOOOOOOOOVE squash! I think I'm going to have to copy YOUR recipe for this next time i make it!!

That Girl said...

Your additions make it SO autumny!